Monday, March 24, 2014

What Power Supply should i get for my gaming PC?




Trafalgar


What power supply do you recommend? and what wattage? i checked on the newegg calculator and it said 457w but i dont feel like its reliable for some reason. i think 700w should do but im really not sure.
here's my build:

Case: Rosewill Thor V2 (4 fans)
Motherboard: Asus Z87 Gryphon Micro ATX
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k 3.4GHz & a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO for it
Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX660 Ti
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 1600
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5 7200 RPM
Optical Drive: just a random $20 DVD drive

which power supply do you recommend that is modular, affordable and with enough power for this build?



Answer
Cool, I got the exact same THOR V2 case for my next build, just came in the mail Friday.
Excellent case.

For a GTX660 Ti, nVidia recommends a minimum of 450W with two 6pin PCI-e card power connectors.
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-660ti/specifications
As it is never a good thing to stretch a power supply to its maximum output, I suggest getting a 600W.
I always get a PSU at least 100W over my actual power requirement, for lower temperatures and less fan noise. This also leaves some room for future upgrades (SLI, etc). Last but not least, due to capacitor aging, the actual power output will decrease over time.

Cheap, no name, generic power supplies tend to grossly overstate their power output and they can spike or crap out and fry your key components.

Only buy a reliable brand name like Corsair, Thermaltake, Cooler Master, Enermax, Antec, XFX, Seasonic, OCZ, or Silverstone.
Make sure it's an 80 plus certified power supply (80 plus means guaranteed over 80% of rated power in actual output)
It is also preferable to get a modular power supply, to eliminate cable clutter and allow for better air flow in your box.
NEVER CHEAP OUT ON YOUR POWER SUPPLY, it's the engine that drives your entire computer.

Also, may I suggest for such beautiful build to upgrade to the new GTX770 card??
So much better...
If you decide to get GTX770, upgrade power supply to a 700W or 750W, as nVidia recommends a minimum of 600W for GTX770.

For power supplies, I'm a big Thermaltake fan, IMHO much more reliable than Corsair.
I just got the fully modular 850W Thermaltake SMART M Series SP-850M for my future build (still in the mail), $140 on Amazon, $150 on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153158
I also have a 750W modular in my 2012 build, that has worked excellent so far. Very quiet and stay cool enough. For that one I paid $60 after $20 rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153136

3 Question on my Gaming PC build ( graphic card, power supply and ram )?




HardcoreGa


So this is my first build, I want to build a low budget gaming PC that can run games like BF3 on medium or high settings on 50 FPS average, I have a couple of question ( remember I'm a beginner in this building stuff )
1_ graphic card : GTX 560, GTX 560 ti or GTX 570 which one should I choose, I learned that there is no big difference between the 560 ti and the 560, I need a graphic card that can run BF3 on medium or high settings on 50 average FPS, so what should I choose (remember the low budget :P)
2_ Power supply : I learned that GTX 560 needs at least 650 W and the GTX 570 needs at least 750 W can someone link me to a good quality/low budget power supply ?
3_ I nearly now nothing about choosing the ram, I think I will be fine with 4GB but there are many kinds, can someone link me to a great quality 4 GB ram, or should I just go with the 8 GB ?
thanks in advance
So PTRP first of all thx alot for answering my questions, so u say that the GTX 560 non ti version would play all games on max settings including BF3 but on what frame rate ( The GTX 560 I want to buy : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127593 ) ?



Answer
Okay Jack, here are my suggestions:

I also have a GTX 560, this card can play ALL GAMES on max settings PROVIDED that you settle with a monitor with 1600x900 resolution (like my 20" samsung syncmaster), believe me if I say that you wouldn't notice the difference between 1080p and 900p. 1600x900 (900p) is actually an excellent resolution also.

As for the PSU, the power requirement of the GTX 560 is actually 450w minimum, thus a 600W Branded PSU would be IDEAL and is ample enough for future upgrades as well.

As to the RAM, 4 gb is indeed good enough for all games but since they are cheap, 8 gb is actually the sweetspot (future proof). A good brand is the g.skills ripjaws. Now the speed would depend on your motherboard. If your mobo supports 1600mhz then that's good but if it only supports up to 1333mhz that would be fine also.

Just go to newegg.com and type it on the searchbox to see the hardware you're looking for.

EDIT: Hi again Jack,

Okay, here are the specs of my build:

Core2Quad 8400 OC to 3.0 ghz
8 GB RAM DDR3 1333mhz
GTX 560 non-ti
20" LED Samsung syncmaster (1600x900 resolution)

now, even though my cpu is just a Core2Quad (of which even the I3-2100 is much better for gaming), with the GTX 560 non-ti, I could practically play ALL GAMES on MAX settings on 1600x900 resolution.

FPS:

1. BF3 - 40 FPS AVE, Dips down to 35 but seldom
2. SKYRIM - Outside towns and inside dungeons 50-62 FPS, inside towns 40-50 FPS sometimes dips to 35 FPS also
3. MW3 - same as BF3
4. Crysis - 50-60 FPS most of the time, lowest FPS is at 45
5. Mass Effect 3 - around 40-50 FPS (I just started playing it so I am not sure of the exact numbers but it is very smooth)
6. Metro2033 - Same as BF3
7. Dead island - not a problem
8. Deus EX human revolution - very smooth

I am actually a gamer and was able to finish all games that I have mentioned except mass effect 3 of which I am currently playing.

Just get a 20 inch monitor with 1600x900 resolution and a decent processor that is better than my core2quad like the phenom II x 970 (if you want AMD) or if you have the extra budget, the I5-2400 is very ideal. But the I3-2120 will be also good for gaming.

Now since you're just aiming on mid-high settings then 50+ FPS on ALL GAMES will not be a problem with the GTX560 used on a 1600x900 monitor. When I was actually playing BF3, I just put it on high settings (the difference was not noticable actually) and my frames was 50+ FPS.

Just don't forget to download and install the latest driver at the NVIDIA WEBSITE and never use BETA DRIVERS because they tend to have bugs and is not perfect yet.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What Power Supply should i get for my gaming PC?
Rating: 95% based on 99438 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment