Tuesday, August 13, 2013

How much can I overclock a graphics card?

best gaming pc cheap on Gaming Computers Cheap on Laptop Models Meet The Requirements For Both ...
best gaming pc cheap image



Angel


I picked up an old gaming pc cheap for my young son to play on but it only had a radeon 9550 so for only $20 I got a hold of a radeon HD 2600 Pro IceQ Turbo 512mb. The card has like 500 awards for its cooling technology. Anyways, I got it the ATI Tray Tools which allows you to overclock its core and memory speeds as well as complete fan speed control and voltage increase capabilities. The question is how much overclocking is safe? This question is not only for Temps but for the actual core and memory speed increments. This card at idle with stock clocks stays at 52c and while gaming it gets up to about 58c. This seems Cool. So what are the safe zones? Keep in mind I am also asking about the core and memory speed increments not just Temp. Thanks!


Answer
I don't normally answer questions about overclocking.

Comparing the older 9550 to the 2600 Pro I found this:

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=523&card2=80

Both are AGP which is what I expected. I looked up and compared the Pro to the next up card, the 2600 XT.

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=523&card2=521

The specs are quite similar except for the clock speeds and the RAM type. You may try by ramping up the core clock speed a bit and test it out a bit at a time, say for arguments sake, 10 at a time. Slow and sure is safer IMHO. I definitely would not go all the way to the numbers of the XT in one go but I would push it up and see if you can keep it stable and not too hot. As to the temps I would be cautious over 65C and less if any instability or corruption occurred. Remember these cards are not exactly available on every street corner so to burn it out would be a bad thing. I urge caution and patience in this.

Good luck.

Is building your own gaming PC still cheaper than buying it all put together?




Shane


So I have about $1.5k to spend on a good gaming pc. I would like to know whether or not it would be cheaper to just build my own computer rather than buying the thing pre-built. If it was cheaper, what specs would you recommend? I am looking to play games like BF3 and ARMA 2 (w/ DayZ of course) as well as the future releases of some series. Is my budget enough to get a good gaming PC? Again, what specs and parts do you recommend? Any help is appreciated. Thanks everybody!


Answer
Yes it IS cheaper.
If your reusing parts or not it still is slightly cheaper.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How much can I overclock a graphics card?
Rating: 95% based on 99438 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment